PHP Classes

Is it possible?

Recommend this page to a friend!

PHProgress Bar  >  All threads  >  Is it possible?  >  (Un) Subscribe thread alerts  
Subject:Is it possible?
Summary:Monitor the upload of a picture or pdf.
Author:Garry
Date:2005-01-13 13:26:25
Update:2005-01-14 21:43:57

1. Is it possible?   Reply   Report abuse  
Picture of Garry Garry - 2005-01-13 13:26:26
Can this progress bar be setup to monitor the progress of a upload such as a picture of pdf from a form in a web browser to a directory on a server hosting a website?

2. Re: Is it possible?   Reply   Report abuse  
Picture of Yasir Hussain Yasir Hussain - 2005-01-13 17:27:49 - In reply to message 1 from Garry
yep, that's what I also want to discover. I intend to write a script which can upload images directly to my website, and knowing the progress is most helpful. I tried to use progressbar without any success in the past.

3. It is not possible!   Reply   Report abuse  
Picture of Gerd Weitenberg Gerd Weitenberg - 2005-01-13 17:58:36 - In reply to message 1 from Garry
Iīm sorry, but the class canīt report the status of an upload.
My class can only "move" a fixed number of steps.

Please take a look at the "HTML_Progress" pear class.
pear.laurent-laville.org/HTML_Progr ...
This class have build in upload functions and self animated bars.

best wishes
Gerd Weitenberg

4. Re: Is it possible?   Reply   Report abuse  
Picture of Manuel Lemos Manuel Lemos - 2005-01-14 16:51:31 - In reply to message 3 from Gerd Weitenberg
No, AFAIK, PEAR progress class is not able to monitor uploads done to PHP scripts because a PHP script only starts executing after the upload is finished.

What the PEAR class does is just to animate a Knight Rider like bar with lights waving back and forth during the submission of the form upload, but it has no way of determining how much of the upload was done in each moment as the code that does that in PHP.

I know there are some patches around to the PHP itself to make it report form upload progress but AFAIK these have not been accepted by the PHP core developers.

The only alternative that I know to this problem is to use a Perl script to handle the upload and have it report the progress by storing some information in server side files. I am just not sure if this would be secure in a shared server environment.

5. Re: Is it possible?   Reply   Report abuse  
Picture of Sergej M Rinc Sergej M Rinc - 2005-01-14 21:43:57 - In reply to message 4 from Manuel Lemos
Well, there is another option for PHP but it relies on perl code for low level issues. Take a look at

raditha.com/php/progress.php/

Works for me at client's site and I had no problems of using this Megaupload though it's not pure PHP (client has Linux, khm, LAMP). Sorry I don't have time to compare it with PHProgress Bar since I wasn't aware of this class before last PHPC newsletter but - this is the forum, so somebody will probably publish comparison.